Friday, July 25, 2014

Chrysocolla Pendant

At the local Rock and Mineral Show, I met a local rock hound.  He goes all over Idaho and the western states finding his own rocks, which he then slabs, cuts into cabs, and polishes.  He does beautiful work, and best of all, he'll except custom orders!

Sterling Silver Wire Wrapped Cabochon with Czech Glass Beads

I have ordered several cabs from him, but every time I go I pick out from his stash of already made cabs, too.  I just can't help myself!  This cabochon, a chrysocolla, is related to turquoise but is naturally more stable.  I don't recall if he mined it in Idaho or not, but he does have a lot of it!

Chrysocolla Cabochon - wire wrapped in sterling silver with beads

This is my first setting of this sort, woven wire and beads.  All the wire is sterling silver.  I'm still debating on whether or not I should make my chain, or buy a sterling silver chain for it.  It's a lot of work to make a chain, but it also brings out the handmade uniqueness of the piece.

I'm not sure what next week will bring - hopefully another post!

Happy Creating,
PZ

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please, no spam! If you would like a quick reply, contact me through my listed email address. Thanks for visiting! SSS